when, while 和 as 引导时间状语从句的用法
1. When he was a child he was always trying out new ideas.
2. When she came into my room, I was just reading a book. 她走进我房间时，我正在看书。
3. Were you writing when the teacher came in? 老师进来的时候，你在写信吗？
4. Sorry, I was out when you called me. 对不起，你打电话来的时候我出去了。
5. He was on the point of leaving when someone knocked at the door.
6. I thought of it just when you opened your mouth. 就在你要说话的时候，我也想到了。
7. I had hardly[scarcely] closed my eyes when someone knocked at the door.
根据以上的例句，我们可以总结出一点：when 从句的A事件，相当于另一个事件B发生的时间点。也就是说，when 从句的重点不在动作本身发生的状态，而只是把它作为一个时间点，所以when 多数情况下用的是一般过去时，则不用正在进行时。因为如果用正在进行时，它表示的就是一段时间而不是一个时间点了。根据这一点，有的文章补充说：when 从句的动词大多是瞬时动词。这种说法也可以参照。
1. When I got to the airport, the guests had left. 当我赶到飞机场时，客人们已经离开了。
2. When he had finished his homework, he took a short rest.
3. Why do you want a new job when you have got such a good one already?
4. You shall borrow the book when I have finished reading it.
5. When the manager comes here for a visit next week, I’ll talk with him about this.
相比于when 来说，while 从句的侧重点就不一样了。while 从句的侧重点在于描述动作正在发生的状态，它的意思是：当while 事件正在发生的时候，另一件事如何如何。所以，while 从句一般用的是正在进行时。而另一件事的状态没有硬性的要求，根据具体情况而定。例如：
1. While my wife was reading the newspaper, I was watching TV.
2. While Jim was mending his bike, Lin Tao came to see him.
3. While they were talking, the bell rang. 正在他们谈话的时候，上课铃响了。
4. You can’t do your homework while you’re watching TV.
5. While John was sitting biting his nails, I was working out a plan to get us home.
从时间的角度来看，while 表示的是一段时间，是一个过程。这是while 的侧重点。因此，如果含有“一段时间”的含义的时候，就可以用while。
6. Strike while the iron is hot. 趁热打铁。
这句话中，是说趁着铁是热的这段时间，赶紧打铁。如果换成 when 意思就变了，相当于说铁只热了一下，打一下，然后铁就冷了。这显然不符合文意。
—I'm going to the post office.
—While you're there, can you get me some stamps?
as 从句表示的也是一件事情正在发生，另一件事也正在进行当中。但与 while 从句不同的是，as 从句用的一般不用正在进行时，而只是一般过去时。as 从句一般可以翻译成“边……边……”。例如：
1. As my mother sang those old songs, tears ran down her cheeks.
2. The students took notes as they listened. 学生们边听课边做笔记。
3. As we talked on, he got more and more excited. 我们继续往下谈的时候，他越来越兴奋。
4. The little girls sang as they went. 小姑娘们一边走，一边唱。
5. Just as he caught the ball, there was a tearing sound.
as 表达的事件，往往只是主句动作发生的背景或条件时，as 只是一个次要的时间说明，不像while 从句有强调 while 动作本身的意思。因此，as 常常翻译成“随着……”之意。
1. As the time went on，the weather got worse. 随着时间的推移，气候更加糟糕。
2. The atmosphere gets thinner and thinner as the height increases.
3. As years go by，China is getting stronger and richer.
1. The sad mother sat on the roadside, shouting as she was crying.
2. As we were going out, it began to snow. 正当我们出门时，雪开始下起来。
3. He came in as I was going to bed. 我正要上床睡觉，他进来了。
四、when, while, as 的互换
1. When /While /As we were dancing, a stranger came in.
当我们跳舞时，一位陌生人走了进来。 [dance 为延续性动词]
2. When /While /As she was making a phone call, I was writing a letter.
3. While/When/ As I was walking down the street, I noticed a police car in front of the
五、比较while, when, as
1）as, when 引导短暂性动作的动词。
例如：Just as / Just when / When I stopped my car, a man came up to me.
2）当从句的动作发生于主句动作之前，只能用when 引导这个从句，不可用as 或 while。
例如：When you have finished your work, you may have a rest.
例如： As the day went on, the weather got worse. 日子一天天过去，天气越变越坏。
肯定句：I slept until midnight. 我一直睡到半夜时醒了。
Wait till I call you. 等着我叫你。
（在肯定句中可用before代替。例如：Let's get in the wheat before the sun sets.）
否定句：She didn't arrive until 6 o'clock. 她直到6点才到。
Don't get off the bus until it has stopped. 公共汽车停稳后再下车。
I didn't manage to do it until you had explained how. 直到你教我后，我才会做。
例如：Until you told me, I had heard nothing of what happened.
3）until when 疑问句中，until要放在句首。例如：
---Until when are you staying? 你呆到什么时候？
--- Until next Monday. 呆到下周一。
例如：Not until the early years of the 19th century did man know what heat is.
Not until I began to work did I realize how much time I had wasted.
5）It is not until… that….
例如：It was not until I began to work that I realized how much time I had wasted.
hardly/scarcely…when/before, no sooner…than 和as soon as都可以表示“一……就……”的
I had hardly / scarcely got home when it began to rain. 刚回家，就下起雨来了。
I had no sooner got home than it began to rain.
As soon as I got home, it began to rain.
注意：如果hardly, scarcely 或no sooner置于句首，句子必须用倒装结构。
Hardly / Scarcely had I got home when it began to rain.
No sooner had I got home than it began to rain.
1．_________ he comes tomorrow, I shall ask where he has been.
2．_________ he was speaking, everybody listened carefully.
3．I saw her just _________ she was getting off the train.
4．Have a good look at that man _________ you pass him.
5．It was already eight o'clock _________ we got there.
6. I was about to go out _________ a visitor came.
7．We'll go to the country at the beginning of June, ______ the summer harvest will start.
8. He learned to speak German _________ he was in Berlin.
9. Henry is in charge of the office ________ Mr. Smith is away.
10. I listen to the recorder _________ I have time.
11. He had learned Chinese _________ he came to China.
12. _________ the work was done, we sat down to sum up experience.
13. I haven't seen him _________ he moved to the other side of the town.
14. I waited ________ he came back.
15. It was not ________ he took off his eyeglasses that I recognized him.
16. She likes everything to be in place ________ she starts to work.
17. The thieves ran away _________ they caught sight of the police.
18. They decided to go back home _________ their money ran out.
19. We played outside till sunset, _________ it began to rain。
20. __________ I get to the airport, I will phone you to pick me up.
21. They were about to leave ______ it began to rain.
22. He always stay in bed ______ lunch time.
23. I like playing tennis _________ my younger sister prefers watching ball games.
24. _________ I understand your viewpoint, I don’t agree with you.
25. _______ she grew older, she became more responsible.
1. When 2. While / When 3. as 4. when/as 5. when 6. when
7. when 8. while 9. while 10. whenever 11. before 12. After
13. since 14. till/until 15. until 16. before 17. as soon as 18. before
19. when 20. As soon as 21.when 22. until 23. while 24. While